What is M.K.?
Multiage Kindergarten (M.K.)
Multiage Kindergarten is a classroom comprised of 1st year and 2nd year kindergarten students. The 2nd year kindergarten students are identified through our Child Study Team (CST) process as children who will benefit from an extra year of early primary education before moving on to 1st grade. The Child Study Team members include: school counselor, psychologist, support staff, teachers, occupational therapist, speech language pathologist, principal, reading and math specialists, and any other staff that works with a student who is referred to CST.
Multiage Kindergarten and Kindergarten
1. All Kindergarten students will be provided a full continuum of services; including Academic Intervention Services in both math and reading.
2. The Kindergarten CCLS curriculum will be taught in the MK classroom.
3. We will be able to provide reduced class sizes to all kindergarten classrooms. In addition, we will be providing increased teacher aide support and reading specialist support in each K and MK classroom.
4. By increasing our support to the kindergarten grade level, we will be able to better identify learning and/or developmental gaps and begin working to close these gaps early for all children in K and MK.
5. Our goal is to preserve the opportunity (similar to TK) for our students who need an extra year to develop (social, emotional, academic, behavioral) and to enhance the kindergarten support/learning for all students.
6. Early identification and intervention are crucial for the success of our early primary learners. It is our goal to provide the best possible educational experiences for our students and to best prepare them for the next grade level and beyond.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding M.K., please call us at 358-7030 and we'll do our best to answer all your questions.